Wednesday 6 February 2008

Pottery Barn

The way Pottery Barn apparently thinks up its designs and plans for products is really interesting, and I think it works really well. They go out and find cool-looking objects, listen to complaints about existing other place's products and look at how furniture is set up in places like restaurants. I think that that would give them a better idea of what people are looking for in products than simply selling plates because everyone like plates. I also think that it would be a really fun job to have.

It also seems fairly inevitable that Pottery Barn has decided to market to a larger audience. All for-profit businesses want to make as much money as possible (at least I think so), and selling first to children, then to teens would add a lot more business. The fact that the production team is trying to connect with the teen audience they want to sell to would probably make whatever things they come up with more appealing to the target audience.

1 comment:

Mei-Mei said...

I agree. Pottery Barn's success is because of their methods used to determine what people want and their attempts to connect with different groups has added to their success. I guess I wouldn't expect the author to write as if the job was really difficult because they want it to seem like it's laid back, but I thought the job of marketing and coming up with products was somewhat underplayed because the article made it seem like it's easy or that anyone could do their job.