Tuesday 27 November 2007

Potential Ideas for the Inquiry Contract

For my topic, I'd like to something small and practical. It's easier to write in-depth and convincingly if what you're writing about isn't huge and confusing and has hundreds of sides and angles and facts about it. This contract sounds hard enough without trying to complicate with writing about the war in Iraq, or something like that. Then I wouldn't have to worry so much about research- I could focus more on writing good papers. However, I'm not particularly passionate about anything. Anything that would be easy to write about, that is.

So, first: a possibility is to argue for more field trips in high school. Perhaps every fourth block or something, each class could go on a trip. Educational or community service or for just having fun. Or maybe once a semester, each people could sign up for a field trip somewhere. Or an overnight trip, or something. I haven't really developed anything more coherent than that.

Second: build/renovate the area outside the main building and between the two buildings, so that that is a covered walkway between them (so in the rain/hail/snow we don't have to be precipitated upon), there are more picnic tables outside for the growing school population and make some sort of tent/pavilion outside to cover said tables.

Third: build a swimming pool. While I would absolutely love to have a swimming pool here, I know they cost millions and so arguing for one is probably not going to work.

What do you all think?

4 comments:

Kendal said...

Lizzz-

First of all, I really enjoyed reading your blog. You managed to make what could have been a very dull read interesting for me. I completely agree with what you said about not feeling particularly passionate about anything, I am in the same boat, as we all heard in class today. I like all of the ideas that you suggested in your blog. First of all, I love field trips and I think they can be both educational and fun as well. And covering the walkway sounds good for bad weather, but when it's nice out I love being able to walk outside. I think it's going to be very interesting this winter walking in the snow and on ice. The pool idea made me laugh, I think it would be fun but it is definitely not possible. I really enjoyed reading your blog! Your a good writer!

Lauren said...

I actually find your ideas for this paper surprising Liz. I figured you would write a paper about the war in Iraq or something complicated that I knew nothing about - because you do know so much!

But these seem like strong, fresh ideas for your proposal paper. I think you could write a lot about field trips and the benefits that result in them. You could also talk about why teachers do not and what the school can do to help - i.e. teach teachers how to drvie the buses perhaps.

And if only we had the money for a pool... But you know what would be awesome: field/day trip over to the new Carmel Recreational Center. They have just about everything you could imagine, including a skate and water park.

I say go for it!

Elise Carter said...

I agree with Lauren, I could have seenn you going into a big political issue, when you want to wrtie about what is going on in your life. I really like the idea of field trips, but sometimes it is hard to do. There are a lot of benefits in field trips though. And a pool, well I don't think a lot of people would want that, I think that mor people would be interested in things like a bigger auditorium or something. This is why I think that going with the idea of more field trips would be better.

Lauren, we should go to the recreation center that would be fun!

Katie said...

I like the the field trips and covered walk way ideas. They are very simply, but they relate to the whole school.

I think that University needs more field trips because they can enhance learning. They also can be fun and can give you a chance to bond with people in the school. I like the idea because it could give us a break from all the homework and tests we have to do.

I also like the covering the walkway idea. When it rains, it is very annoying to walk between the buildings because you get wet. I bet it will also be annoying when it starts to snow. We might become snowmen just walking over there.

Good luck!