Friday 25 April 2008

Santorum

This means that marriages work, say 99% of the time, whereas single-family households work only, say, 80% of the time. I disagree with this, but that's not what we have to do, we have to analyze it. I really don't know what to say about the metaphor, the meaning of it is slightly obvious. I do think, though, that one can't quantify the amount of marriages that work (for the kids, as is his point). You can't count every single marriage and you can't objectively decide how good it is for kids. This is also a value judgement in black and white that you can't make. If the kids turn out bad, it might not be the fault of the family situation. So his stats, while numerous, don't make sense. Although, I've digressed from the metaphor. I still think the metaphor is based on opinion and not fact.

No comments: